Mauldin was first established on 100 acres in 1784 and has not stopped growing over the course of the intervening centuries. Throughout Mauldin’s history, the City has developed into a diverse and integral part of the Upstate.
Benjamin Griffith was granted 100 acres, becoming one of the earliest known settlers in the area now called “Mauldin”.
The area became known as “Butler’s Corners” and “Butler’s Crossroads” after Willis William Butler purchased a home at the town’s only crossroads (Laurens Rd and Reedy River Rd).
Land was transferred to Mauldin Episcopal Church, later known as Poplar Springs. The same site, though the original buildings are gone, currently houses Mauldin United Methodist Church.
Reedy River Baptist Church was built. The Church still exists today, though in new facilities.
Mauldin Train Depot is built in the Butler’s Crossroads Community, named after Lt. Gov. W.L. Mauldin who helped bring the railroad through the community.
December 24, 1890
The Town of Mauldin receives its first charter, also named after Lt. Gov. W.L. Mauldin.
Mauldin First Baptist Church established.
February 14, 1910
Mauldin reincorporates and elects its first Mayor, A.L. Holland.
A new school was built on East Butler Road. The school would be destroyed by fire in 1935.
The Town of Mauldin’s charter was revoked at the request of Mayor W.E. Murray, as a result of extreme hardships faced during the Great Depression.
Mauldin School, replacing the older destroyed school, is built as a part of the WPA program. The facility housed 2-12 grades. In 1957, it became Mauldin Elementary School. In 2003, the City of Mauldin purchased the facility and repurposed the building as the Mauldin Cultural Center.
Greenville Water lines were first installed in Mauldin along Laurens Road. The delivery of water sparked a new name for the area stretching from Mauldin to Fountain Inn — “The Golden Strip”.
US 276 was built from Greenville to Columbia, coming straight through the center of Mauldin.
May 28, 1957
The Town of Mauldin reincorporated yet again.
Mauldin’s first fire department, made of all volunteers, was formed. The first fire truck was soon purchased.
Mauldin’s first City Hall was built.
Mauldin’s status was upgraded from a Town to a City.
Mauldin High School was built.
Mauldin approves funding to build the Ray Hopkins Senior Center.
Brookfield Business Park is opened in Mauldin.
Mauldin Middle School is opened.
A new $3.7m City Hall is constructed.
New Mauldin Elementary School opens.
The City purchases the original Mauldin School building to re-purpose as the Mauldin Cultural Center.
The Mauldin Sports Center is opened.
Sign up to receive our monthly newsletter, community announcements, and emergency notifications.